​Visa and Legal Requirements

Students who wish to study in Ireland for longer than 90 days will need to get a student visa to cover the duration of their stay in Ireland. 
EU Students do not need any special visa to study in Ireland.  Students from countries which do not need a visa to enter Ireland can study on a course of up to 90 days without getting a student visa.

Those outside of the EU/EEA countries may obtain a visa by downloading and completing the application form for a student visa and answer the questions(in English) on the student visa questionnaire by clicking here. Send the completed form and questionnaire to the Irish embassy or consulate in or accredited to the country in which you normally live. If there is no Irish Embassy or Consulate in your country, send your visa application to your nearest Irish embassy or consulate or to the Visa Office, Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.

Can I work while studying in Bronwyn Conroy?

Citizens from countries outside the EU/EEA (that is, the 27 EU member states member states and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) who are registered as full-time students with the Garda Siochana are permitted to work part-time in Ireland (up to a maximum of 20 hours a week and full-time during vacation periods) to support themselves. Read more information on employment rights of part-time workers in Ireland.


For CIDESCO Full Time Beauty Therapy
(Please note this document is not and does not purport to be a legal document.  The following information is intended for guidance only and is not a formal interpretation of Irish law)
Entry into Ireland
While US passport holders do not need a visa to enter Ireland, other normal immigration controls apply.  Please ensure you carry with you:

  • A valid passport
  • A round trip ticket
  • Evidence of sufficient funds of support for the duration of stay (statement of earnings, bank statement, credit/debit cards, traveller’s cheques, etc)

The requirement that the student provides evidence of sufficient funds upon entry into Ireland can be fulfilled in one of the following ways:

  • A notarized statement from your parent(s)/guardian(s) in which they guarantee support during your residence in Ireland
  • A financial aid award letter from the Irish institution
  • A bank letter verifying that you have sufficient funds on account or that you regularly deposit an amount that would support you while in Ireland

Persons entering Ireland for study or to sit an examination must, in additional to the above, present to the immigration office at port of entry a letter of registration from the relevant education institution.  The letter of registration should contain details of the insurance cover taken out on behalf of each student by their educational institution.  Alternative evidence will be taken to be a Certificate of Private Insurance taken out by the student in the US prior to travel.  Students attending a course of study more than one academic year in duration are entitled to public health services in Ireland.
Additionally an immigration officer has the right to request any other information s/he deems necessary in connection with entry.  The final decision on right of entry rests with the immigration officer at port of entry and it is not possible to obtain pre-entry clearance.
On Arrival in Ireland
Persons entering Ireland for study for a period longer than 90 days are required to obtain permission to remain within the first week following their arrival.  Persons seeking this permission should report to the Aliens Registration office, An Garda Siochana, Garda National Immigration Bureau, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 or if outside the Dublin area, to the local Police Superintendent’s Office.  An unauthorised overstay could result in prosecution, imprisonment, and a fine.
The following documentation is required in support of an application:

  • Completed Aliens Registration Form – available from local Irish police stations
  • Possession of a valid passport
  • 4 passport sized photographs
  • The documentation outlined in section one which was presented at port of entry

Permission to remain cannot be obtained before you arrive in Ireland and Aliens Registration Forms are not available from the Consulate.
Working in Ireland
US nationals who have permission to remain in Ireland as students are entitled to take up casual employment (defined as up to 20 hours part time work per week or full time work during vacation periods) for the duration of their permission to remain.  It is a breach of student conditions to be in full time employment other than during vacation periods.  Students must (as stated above) provide evidence of sufficient funds and any expectation of earnings from casual employment will not be taken into account in determining whether the person has sufficient funds to support themselves.
If you are not a US citizen you should contact the Irish Consulate to check whether you require a visa to enter Ireland.

Phone 012107848